NetApp Knowledge Base (KB) continues to be the primary repository of support content for all NetApp Products and Services. Since its redesign in May of 2020, we have continued to enhance the employee experience and the customer experience of the site by optimizing and customizing CXone Expert features to suit our specific requirements. We are elated that this focus in delivering world-class user experience on our Digital Support sites including the Knowledge Base site has helped us earn several industry recognitions including:
- CXone Expert KCS Award 2022
- CXone Expert Most Admired Award 2022
- Knowledge Management and Intellectual Capital Excellence Award 2022
- Association of Support Professionals (ASP) support site wins 5 years in a row: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.
- Notable: 2020 ASP Overall Best Support Site Award
- Stevie® Awards for multiple Customer Service categories and levels in 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Award details can be found at https://mysupport.netapp.com/site/info/aboutsupport
As part of our efforts to provide optimal user experience for our customers and employees, we added several new innovative features to the NetApp KB site using CXone Expert APIs, DekiScript and customized scripts developed by the NetApp KCS teams.
Key New Innovations in 2022
NetApp Support organization is powered by the KCSv6 methodology. Tracking KB create and update activities, and auditing cases closed and KBs created by support engineers while resolving these cases are part of this methodology. The tracking and auditing activities ensure that large technical support teams adopt and follow the KCS practices appropriately.
- The NetApp KCS team developed customized dashboards to track user activities and KCS coach activities.
- We used CXone Expert APIs to collect KCS license details of our engineers from the CXone Expert database and combine it with our internal user database. Using a customized script, this combined data is displayed on a CXone Expert page. The data includes details such as the engineer’s name, reporting manger’s name, license details of the engineer, and coach details.
- Then using CXone Expert APIs, Dekiscript and custom Java script, we added filters to this data, which allows us to filter engineer information by region, team, license, and manager.
- To this database, we also added the user contribution data (such as KB creates, updates, etc.). Engineers, coaches, and managers can see all their individual activities, team activities, and/or mentee activities (according to their user login and permission levels). Additionally, coaches are also able to see any Process Adherence Review (PAR) and Content Standard Checklist (CSC) audits pending with them and complete them on time.
- These dashboards combine multiple data sources and use a centralized User Interface to display all KCS activities of different individuals, teams, and regions, thereby providing support engineers, coaches, and leaders the transparency required to efficiently participate in and/or run the KCS program in their respective teams.
Results & Impact
Our efforts to continuously improve the CXone Expert platform has resulted in the following outcomes:
- Article creation rate: improved by 64%
- Article reuse rate: improved by 25%
- Orphaned WIP articles in the system reduced by 84% (Dashboards provide engineers ability to review the status of articles created by them and complete them on a timely basis. Additionally, discrepancy alerts ensure there most discrepancies are identified and resolved on time.)
- About 800 Knowledge Articles published per month, close to 30K in the system by end of 2022 (>10K increase from the previous year)
- 94% of our Knowledge Articles are shared externally—a ~40% increase from before we migrated to CXone Expert.
- >3.5M monthly page views to our digital support sites and >700K monthly page views on the KB site.
- 98% of support journeys include digital channels and we see a 54% success rate
- >80:1 Contact Ratio across our 5-Channel Support Delivery model (Contact Ratio is the number of Digital Support Engagement (web sessions) seen for every Assisted Support Case that is opened) (Goal was 30:1)
- <5% of all answers are assisted support cases
- Our CSAT scores are at an all-time high of 4.5/5
- Our Customer Effort Score is also at an all-time high with 98%
Feedback Workflow (Enhanced in 2022):
The out-of-the box feedback workflow offered by CXone Expert is very basic. When a user provides feedback on an article, the tool forwards the feedback through an e-mail to a pre-set email ID, which is then manually processed by the Knowledge Base editors. The effort in processing the feedback was enormous and tedious.
To improve operational efficiency of the KB team in handling feedback, the NetApp KB Team developed a feedback workflow that allows us to effectively track, assign, process, and close feedback from within the CXone Expert tool. The entire feedback workflow was developed in-house, without using any CXone Expert features or APIs. Here’s a brief outline of our process:
- The feedback emails are extracted to an excel sheet using Power Automate.
- The content is then formatted as per our requirements in excel and then loaded into a NetApp Database using the Python script.
- Using GUID as the unique ID, the feedbacks is displayed in the respective articles as well as the Feedback Dashboard.
- Pro-members accessing the feedback through the article have the option of addressing the feedback while they are reviewing or using the article to solve a customer’s issue.
- The Feedback Dashboard helps the Knowledge Base team segregate unaddressed feedback into internal, external, technical, and non-technical feedback and assign them to the appropriate SMEs
- Once the feedback is addressed, the SME has the option of letting the submitter know the feedback is addressed and closed.
Result and Impact
- With this innovative in-house feedback workflow, we can address all customer feedback within 24 - 48 hours of receiving them.
- We see that our customers are engaging more frequently with us with suggestions and feedback on our KBs and the KB site.
- We have seen a 90% increase in the total number of feedback (internal and external) submitted on our site ever since we started using the feedback dashboard.